This section of our website contains advice on online caution by you and your friends. We want to help you learn what to do should you run into inappropriate content on the internet and how to keep safe when communicating online with different people that you may or may not know, when playing online games, and when using cell phones. This will help you and your friends to stay safe when online and equip you with all the knowledge and skills in case you encounter anything bad or age-inappropriate that frightens you.
There are many ways for being safe when talking to people online. See below for advice that you should always keep in mind:
- When you want to access the internet and chat with friends or other people, always ask your mother, father, or anyone else taking care of you, to help you do it in the safest way.
- While using applications that enable you to communicate online, always use a nickname or a short version of your name instead of your real name.
- Never tell to unfamiliar people your electronic address, your real name, or where you attend school.
- When you want to talk to someone on the internet that you do not know, always ask your mother, father, or anyone else taking care of you, to help and tell you whether that person would you do anything mean to you.
- It is not advisable and safe to meet a person that you have known only online. Some people may not appear under their real name online. If a friend, whom you have met only online, requests a meeting with you, immediately inform your mother, father, or anyone else taking care of you, in order to prevent anything bad from happening to you.
- Always ask your mother, father, or anyone else taking care of you, before starting to play a game on the internet. They can help you in selecting the best games and you can teach your parents how to play these games together with you.
- It is always recommended to use a short version of your name or a nickname when playing games online.
- Some people with whom you talk while you play online games can give you completely fake information; hence you should also never reveal information about yourself to a stranger.
Electronic messages (E-mail)
You must be careful with electronic messages because sometimes you may receive messages from people you do not know.
- Always ask your mother, father, or anyone else taking care of you, before opening your electronic address (e-mail) account.
- Always ask your mother, father, or anyone else taking care of you, before opening any messages in your electronic address (e-mail).
- Always delete the messages you have received from people you do not know. These messages can contain inappropriate images or various viruses that can harm your computer.
- Never send your personal pictures to people you do not know. These people could be hiding behind a fake identity and can misuse pictures of you, your family or friends.
- Never share your e-mail, phone number, email, where you live,or where you attend school, with strangers.Always use appropriate language when on online and do not offend or insult anyone.
Discipline whilst online
Internet has become much like our real world. Internet is used by all people from around the world for various reasons. Some people use it for good purposes, while others do so with bad intentions.
It is important that you use the internet for entertainment purposes by not offending, insulting or misusing any person you do not know. Even though you are not able to see the other person communicating in online chats or on social networking sites, you should use appropriate language in order avoid offenses or insults towards anyone on the internet that could lead to an eventual incident or exposure to unlawful acts.
Nonetheless, if you run into any inappropriate online content or a person offends or says bad things to you during online communication, then you definitely need to inform your parents or your guardian so that they can help you and put an end to the behavior.
If you feel uncomfortable with something you’ve seen online or someone has told you things that make you feel sad or concerned, you should inform your mother, father, or anyone else taking care of you at home.
It is paramount to always share any dissatisfaction or fear about anything that you have seen when playing games online, in your e-mail, or in any other online activity, with an adult whom you trust.
- Always ask an adult before you start using the internet. They can help you find great things for your entertainment on the internet.
- Never tell to unfamiliar people where you live, and do not show them your phone number, email, or where you attend school. Only your friends and family should know this personal information.
- Do not send your pictures to people you do not know. You certainly would not want a stranger to misuse pictures of you or your family.
Tell your parents or your guardian in case you feel frightened or dissatisfied for anything that t has happened to you online.