As parents, you should be aware of what children do online and should help them do it in a safe way. Since technology is changing almost daily, you should keep track of it constantly.
Let him/her teach you
Children know best what they do online. Ask them about the pages they visit by asking questions like:
- Why do you like this site?
- What do you do in this site?
- What is so attracting about this site?·
- Who else uses it at school?
- With whom you can talk on this page?
- Who are your friends on this site?
Reach an agreement with your child
You have to talk to your child and agree with him/her about internet use limits. Here are some examples:
- Limit the time your child spends browsing online or playing computer games.
- Five-minute breaks every 45-60 minutes.
- Children will not post any pictures they would feel uncomfortable showing to you.
- Children will not share any personal details, such as the phone number or home address, with strangers or untrustworthy people.
- Children will consult you when they are worried.