There are a number of tools that can help you to keep your child safe:
As parents, it can be difficult to monitor what your children do online. Most parents believe in their children, but children nonetheless can come across disturbing materials.Filtering and moderation are good ways of preventing inappropriate and malicious content. These are tools that enable you to stage appropriate restrictions to your child’s online activates.Some of these tools are free of charge, while others are available against a payment. Use the tools that fit best to the needs of your family.
Each parental control package/tool should contain the following services:
- Filtering content in order to prevent access to certain sites, such as pornographic sites;
- Time limits –to restrict the amount of time your children can use the internet or the amount of time during which children may access certain sites;
- Monitoring – informs you about the sites your children tend to visit;
- Reporting – provides information about the websites that your child has visited
There are three main levels of parental control use:
- Internet Service Providers (ISPs): These are companies which provide internet services in your home. Most ISP companies also offer parental control services which enables to set parental controls on computers or other electronic devices with internet access.
- Electronic devices with internet access: Most computers, cell phones and game consoles have a parental control option. For example, Windows and Mac operating systems come with built-in parental control options which you can turn on in your computer.
- Software:There are a number of parental control packages that can be purchased or downloaded for free from the internet.
Nonetheless, parental filters are not 100% effective and you should also talk to your children about safe internet use.